This page takes you step by step through the procedure for transferring a domain away from Network Solutions and into an account at DNN4Less.
The transfer process involves the tasks that are described below. Following the transfer tasks, we provide information about tracking the progress of the transfer, and ICANN rules regarding rejections.
Transfer Task 1: Verify that the domain name is eligible for transfer
To make sure your domain name can be transferred, check the following:
- The domain name has been registered for at least 60 days, and has been at Network Solutions for at least 60 days.
- The domain name is not in "client update prohibited" status.
Transfer Task 2: Update contact information for the domain name
Before you can transfer a domain, the Registrant and Administrative contact information (especially the email addresses) must be up-to-date at Network Solutions, because these contacts receive the transfer request and okay the transfer.
To update the Registrant and Administrative contacts at Network Solutions:
- Log on to your account at NetworkSolutions.com.
- Click "Edit Account Contacts".
- Click the account name for which you want to confirm contact information.
- In the "Edit WHOIS Contacts" section, click "View/Edit WHOIS Contacts".
- Select the check box next to the domain name you want to confirm, and click "Continue".
- If the Administrative contact information needs to be updated, select the "Administrative Contact" option and click "Continue".
- Follow the instructions in the interface. When you have successfully completed the update, the user interface displays a confirmation.
- Repeat for the Registrant.
Transfer Task 3: Obtain the authorization code or retag the domain name
Some TLDs require that you provide an authorization code for your domain name, to provide an extra level of assurance that the transfer request comes from an authorized source.
To transfer a .com, .net, .org, .info, or .biz domain name, obtain the authorization code from Network Solutions:
- Call Network Solutions 24-hour support line at 888-642-9675.
- Request the domain name authorization code.
To retag a .uk domain name:
- Contact Network Solutions at 888-642-9675 and ask them to retag the domain name to ISP tag DNN4Less.
- Alternatively, you can retag/detag directly through Nominet, for a fee.
- When you transfer a .uk domain name, use the Auto verification transfer method.
- You can submit the transfer requests to DNN4Less and Network Solutions in any order.
- If you submit the transfer request to DNN4Less first, you must submit the request to Network Solutions within a week.
- If you submit the transfer request to Network Solutions first, you must submit the request to DNN4Less by the next 8th day of the calendar month.
Transfers of TLDs other than those named above do not require any codes or tags.
Transfer Task 4: Unlock the domain name
Before you can transfer a domain name away from Network Solutions, it must be unlocked. Locking is a feature most registrars offer to prevent unauthorized transfers (hijacking) of domain names.
- In your Network Solutions account, click the domain name you want to unlock.
- In the "Domain Details" section, click "Edit".
- Select "Turn Domain Protect Off" and then click "Save".
Transfer Task 5: Transfer the domain name to DNN4Less
Once you have prepared the domain name at Network Solutions, you're ready to transfer to DNN4Less. Reply to the message you received from DNN4Less Support with the Domain Transfer Authorization Code.
When the domain name contacts receive email from DNN4Less asking them to approve the transfer, do so by following the instructions in the email.
Note: To decide whether to use the Auto Verification or Fax transfer method, weigh the following considerations:
- Auto verification involves approving one domain per approval email; Fax involves assembling and faxing identity verification and a list of domains to transfer.
- Auto verification is generally easier for transferring small numbers of domains (a dozen or so; more if you don’t have convenient access to a fax machine); Fax is easier for transferring larger numbers of domains.
- Auto verification allows you to transfer domains with different Registrant and Admin contacts; Fax method requires the same Registrant and Admin contact information for all domains listed in the request.
- If you plan to transfer a large number of domains, but in separate requests, ask DNN4Less’s transfer specialists to keep your proof of identity on file so you don’t have to resubmit it with every transfer request.
- Auto verification is the easiest method if you are transferring from a registrar that does not list Registrant or Administrative email addresses.
- For .uk and .ca names, always use the Auto verification method.
Senior Engineer Jessie